Tuesday 20 May 2014

PPP//PRIMARY RESEARCH WITHIN BRIEFS THIS YEAR//OUGD602

primary research this year:
After looking back and reflecting on the briefs I have done this year I have noticed quite a few of the design outcomes have been based on primary research which has improved the overall quality of the design and the content.  My most enjoyable briefs consisted of gathering a bank of primary research which I then used for content in publications, the briefs included: the Museum of Childhood, Unsung Heroes and Heroines, Contemporary Culture and an Exhibition of Paris, which were either my most enjoyable briefs or the ones that I think were the most successful in terms of meeting criteria and outcome.

I think it was beneficial in a lot of ways but going out and getting the information first hand makes it far more interesting and engages you with current issues.  I think its important to interact with people to inform your design decisions as being a graphic designer is all about communicating a message and delivering an effective and well designed outcome.  Collecting the information first hand allows my outcome to be more unique and gives me a clearer understanding of what I need to try and communicate through my practice.

I think one of the most effective forms of my primary research this year was the contemporary culture brief, gathering first hand imagery to compile a zine that displays culture in different cities.  This was by far my favourite brief and I felt engaged and enthusiastic throughout, from contacting people to receiving the images to laying out the content.  As I have been trying to improve my primary research skills since first year I was aware of trying to incorporate this into some of my main briefs.

Now that I have completed all my briefs and can look back at the concepts and the deliverables I have found that the primary research has been the difference in the briefs that I have preferred and will look to continue this post extended practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment