Wednesday 7 May 2014

FINAL EVALUATION//BRIEF 02: MIXED TAPE//OUGD602

brief 02: mixed tape, evaluation
I enjoyed this brief as, although the final outcome was only a film poster, the experience I got from working on a set and on various locations was a good opportunity.  Throughout this brief I was quite enthusiastic and engaged as I was working quite closely with someone.  Although the design element (the film poster) was designed by me individually the process of getting there felt like a collaboration.  I feel from this brief I can take a lot more  away with me than just the single poster designed at the end.  The reason for the process being collaborative is because on several occasions I went out and helped film some scenes for the short film.  This allowed me to get a clearer understanding of the film synopsis, the main character, the general style and aesthetic of the film and the directors ideas and what he wanted from the poster. With this brief I felt I learnt a lot about the importance of the development for a brief and also how to adapt and change some of my design to suit the clients taste.  Being on set and helping gave me a great opportunity to get some photographs that I could work with for the promotional poster, which was my original intention.  However it helped me progress with the design in different ways and I didn't end up using any of the photographs that I had taken on set.  Because of filming and being in close contact with the director I was able to understand exactly the design direction the poster should take and how it could successfully represent the film in a way that the director is happy with.

photograph taken whilst on set:
In terms of evaluating my design I feel I have improved on photoshop, I created the poster on photoshop which is something I would never of done in previous years as I would not of felt confident enough to execute it properly.  However, because of the design of the poster it benefited me to use the tools on photoshop which will be useful for designing in the future.  I feel because of the time spent on this brief before the actual designing took place and the understanding of the film I grasped whilst helping allowed me to create a much more successful design and allowed me to make far more informed decisions about the direction of the brief.

I think the final poster communicates successfully what the film is about without giving too much away.  With the feedback I received I was told the poster mirrored what the film is about in a still and that it was eye catching and left enough to the imagination.  I think overall I'm glad with the final design and have enjoyed the experience this brief has enabled me to have.

final poster:

No comments:

Post a Comment