Thursday 22 May 2014

PPP//END OF MODULE EVALUATION//OUGD602

end of module evaluation
I think this module has been vital in allowing me to constantly reflect and evaluate myself and my practice and therefore improve constantly.  This has been a module that has been really helpful in terms of getting a better understanding of the industry throughout the three years and has taught me things that I would of otherwise found daunting and unapproachable, such as contacting studios or going about setting up your own business.  One thing that I really enjoyed about the module this year was self branding, this was something I hadn't been interested in second year but I really enjoyed creating a brand for myself and trying to almost summarise who I am as a designer and what Im about through designing my own branding material.  I then evaluated the difference between my branding from last year to this year and there seems to be such a big jump in terms of thought and presentation, even down to photographing the final products.  

Something that PPP has constantly helped to improve is my presentation skills and just allowing me to gain confidence in what Im doing and what I want to be doing, I can speak more confidently about my work and reflect and evaluate on my decisions.  Before starting the course presenting would of been something I would of found really difficult and would bother me, however after being on the course and having to engage with crits and regularly present your work its something that I don't feel affects me in the same way anymore, and although I still need to improve I feel I've come a long way from the first time I presented at level 03.

Because of this module I have done a two week work placement at Feref, a brand activation studio in London.  When I first applied for this placement I was a lot more interested in branding and since then my practice has taken a lot more of a focused direction, however, I can still take very valuable lessons from the experience.  Whilst there I learnt a huge amount about what its like to work in the industry, what its like to work on a live brief and present your ideas to clients and people within the company.  

I think this module has been valuable in helping to organise my practice a lot better, my time management has improved this year and I think part of it is down to the PPP module, having to constantly plan and assess what you're doing has helped me stay focused.

Because of PPP I have been more engaged in graphic design events and going to certain exhibitions that are going to eli inspire me and further my practice.  I recently attended Pick Me Up, the London graphic design fair which was really beneficial in being able to speak to studios and new graduates about how they got to be doing what they're doing and what kind of opportunities are on offer after university.  Because of PPP I have been more engaged in certain activities and this has allowed for opportunities to arise and certain experiences that I don't think I would of gained without the help of this module.  I think generally the module has taught me the business side of graphic design, the areas you need to know about in order to progress.  I think the most important thing, besides allowing me to get a better understanding of design and what it means to me, is the motivation its given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment