Tuesday 4 March 2014

VILLAGE BOOKSTORE//LEEDS//ZINE RESEARCH//OUGD602

village bookstore, corn exchange
I had wanted to visit village bookstore for a while as I had looked on their site and it seemed like exactly the kind of area of graphic design I am interested in.  As the academic year is rapidly coming to an end I feel like I am finally understanding all of what I did in the first two years and what kind of designer I would like to be, what areas I am interested in etc.  Especially in third year, after cop I feel I've been able to take my practice in the direction I want to, this is keeping me motivated and engaged, only being slightly worried about timescale.

I initially went to the village bookstore to get some ideas for my contemporary culture, in terms of layout, printing method, stock etc. although when coming out, I'd found that it had inspired more briefs that I hadn't even considered and given me some new ideas.
zines and publications:
I think for me to be happy with the final outcome of some of my zines created this year, I need to look into printing and what would be the best way to go about this.  Stock will be important and will need to be appropriate, usually I would go for a textured stock, however I feel this isn't the right style for a zine.  I was considering using textured stock for my Rosy Lee publication but I have decided against it as I feel the texture of the paper will allow the printed photograph to become even more distorted than it already is (initially distortion due to layer of material from teabag)
Whilst in the bookstore I saw a lot of nice finishes and final touches that I thought could really benefit a few of my zines.  Things such as belly bands, boxes, sleeves/envelopes, that all made the overall presentation of the publication/zine a lot more visually engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment