Sunday 2 March 2014

BRIAN HINDMARCH//'BOOK HAPPINESS' TALK//OUGD602

Brian Hindmarch, 'Book Happiness' talk:

The printed book and the mechanics of a book, of writing, reading and speech, has acquired significant changes.

Books - vehicles of ideas
  • visual allure
  • allusion to speech
  • fluidity and acceleration
  • tactile movements 
  • disciplined freedom
  • a trace that remains after movement has departed 
  • a snapshot of emotion
  • gesture
  • pace/pressure

Alphabet
alpha beta = cow + house

pictographic: pictures of things
logographic: sounds made by words

I found the talk with Brian really interesting as the main focus was on something Im not only really interested in but try and use a lot within my design practice, books/reading/text etc.  It was interesting to learn a bit of new knowledge and was also motivating for the current brief I am working on as I've recently felt quite stuck on it.  The 'collected writings of Rosy Lee' brief has been something I've been working on from last week which I'm enjoying but am finding difficult to overcome in terms of text and layout.  This is why hopefully having a tutorial with Brian will help to give me some ideas and a bit more direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment