Sunday 30 March 2014

RALPH STEADMAN SKYPE TALK//OUGD602

ralph steadman talk.
Today in the lecture theatre we had a talk with illustrator Ralph Steadman.  I wasn't familiar with a lot of his work previous to this but after attending the skype lecture I am now a converted fan.  I found the lecture to be really engaging and interesting and also inspiring in terms of my own practice as this reminded me of a more hands on approach that I use to focus on when in foundation.  During this skype lecture we were shown Ralph's studio and various drawings throughout his career which he explained the meaning behind or his approach to etc.  

repeated throughout the lecture: 'a mistake is an opportunity to do something else'

emphasising importance of hand drawn - not digital approach to working - 'not to become too mechanised - computer doesn't give the same textured stroke, computer can be used afterwards.

'drawing isn't a job - its a cause.
dedicate your life to making mistakes that matter - hope for a better world.
be objective, be kind to other people

polaroids - paranoids
polaroid book paranoid - series of polaroid images of famous people such as John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Marilyn Monroe etc.    'Ralph discovered the malleability of the polaroid before it set and thereby began distorting and remolding the faces of the rich and famous. It was a new form of caricature and one that forced an instant reaction from the artist with little time consider the final image before it irrevocably set under its plastic barrier. '
You can see that this style of work is reflected in his own practice - similar style to drawings etc.
when holding a brush 'pretend you're conducting the Philharmonic orchestra'
'for no good reason'

I think speaking to Ralph has really inspired and motivated me to get back into my practice as I felt a little lost after the COP hand in, not only has it motivated me in general but I feel inspired to try a few more 'hands on' techniques as this is something I liked doing before starting the course and have lost sight of some of the old techniques I use to enjoy due to working on the mac constantly.  Now is the perfect time to be producing the work I really want to in order to allow my portfolio to speak volumes about me not only as a designer but as an individual.
This print based, hands on approach will be something Emily and I will try to stick to when designing the second part of our spectrum brief.  Wr are also collaborating on a secret 7 sleeve where this kind of approach could be a possibility when designing. 
Not only has the talk left me feeling inspired but I can also take on Ralph's advice and hopefully use this to get the best out of my practice, he repeated several times in his talk that 'there is no such thing as a mistake' which is something I should apply more when designing hand rendered pieces.  Mistakes can turn into a different outcome and be used in other ways to develop work.  Another valuable lesson I have learnt whilst sitting through the lecture would be the developmental process and how important that can be to the final outcome, just being able to look around Ralph's studio and see the work and the journey of how he came to each bit shows the progression of the art and supports the idea of 'no such thing as a mistake.'

No comments:

Post a Comment