Thursday 3 April 2014

FINAL EVALUATION//BRIEF 09: MEANTIME//OUGD602


brief 09: meantime //  final evaluation
This was a brief that originally I hadn't written up or intended to do but sort of developed and turned into one of my longer briefs.  I feel this was quite a significant brief in third year and changed the approach and feelings I had towards my final outcomes in third year.  I feel the outcomes from this brief were one of the first deliverables that I was actually happy with and I had to overcome some printing issues to get the exact outcomes I wanted in the end and because of this the brief spanned from before Christmas until afterwards.  I felt like I had quite a lot of freedom with this brief and the way I wanted to design it which always makes the brief more engaging and interesting.  I was working with photographs I had taken and looking at visuals that could represent the lyrics and the feel/atmosphere of the song.

I also enjoyed extending the brief, when designing the four sleeves it kind of turned into making a logo for the band which I then put onto tee shirts (screen printed) and made stickers of.  I feel doing this brief allowed me to improve my screen printing skills dramatically.  Compared to the outcome of my screen printed tee shirts in second year the ink has transferred a lot better and looks a lot cleaner and more professional.

second year screen printing
This was from a project in second year, you can see the ink hasn't transferred as well as it should of done and also looks faded but it had only just been done.  I also learnt that you need to press heat the final print in order for it to not fade when washing the tee shirts, something I didn't do in second year.
third year screen printing

printing:
When I was trying to print the final designs for the december hand in I didn't really investigate into what stock would be best for folding the nets and for allowing the colour on the images to be as vibrant as they possibly could, so I was disappointed.  I went away and edited the size of the record sleeves and the nets as the prints had come out pixilated and looked into what stock would benefit the overall design.

first time print
photos do not print well onto the text, the scanned in stock that I used as the background for the logo is pixilated and the general quality of the photographs in these prints are dull.
second time print / edited nets
I was a lot happier with these prints - the stock from the print room allowed the images to show up a lot clearer and editing the nets prevented the images from being pixilated - I also changed the logo so it could go across a range (tee shirts) 
photography:
Another area of this brief that I think has really helped me was photographing the work.  Shockingly this was one of the first times I'd used any professional photography equipment from the photography department.  This made all the difference and I was quite pleased overall with the way the final images had turned out.
This was the turning point in my practice where I was starting to care a lot more about the final outcomes of my designs and the kind of style and direction I wanted to take for my portfolio and how it could best represent me as an individual and a designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment