Monday 17 February 2014

VISITING PROFESSIONAL//CASEROOM PRESS//OUGD602

caseroom press.
Today Barrie Tullet came in from Caseroom press which I found to be very interesting.  

'Barrie Tullett and Philippa Wood are part of a collective called The Caseroom Press; an independent publisher whose work explores the function and format of the book, from single limited editions to multiple copies; from poetry to prose; from the artist's book to traditional print; from stencils, to typewriters; from wood and metal type to litho to digital print processes. They collaborate with a number of illustrators, designers, painters, poets, sculptors, students and musicians.'
notes from the beginning of the talk // going over the basics of typography:
-what are you designing? simple things to get right..

  • dont use optima
  • san serif font preferred for screen based work
  • helvetica of the 90s - meta
  • airport signage - frutiga 
  • courier - do not use - looks as if its gone wrong 
  • 12-14 words, column width- best for eyes to travel and navigate across page
  • leading should be at least 2pt more than body copy, example: 9pt text and 11pt leading
  • turn auto-hyphenation off when using InDesign- control of your hyphens
  • orphans- short lines at the beginning of the page
  • prime marks not the same as an apostrophe
  • learn to kern
  • avoid centring big blocks of type
  • never letterspace lowercase (hard to read)
  • read text out loud to check
stationARy - refers to a cAR
stationEry - refers to an Envelope

I found the talk to be useful and interesting and enjoyed looking at the work.  Typography hasn't been a strong interest of mine since starting the course, however I really like working with type and seeing some of the caseroom press work made me realise I haven't been focusing with my practice as much as I should of in terms of creating formats that I would like to showcase in my portfolio.  When looking at the various books and feeling the stock, looking at the binding techniques and how interesting some of the relationships between type and image were it  made me realise my third year need to be more focused on publishing and editorial.  This is something I will look to change in the last couple of months, either editing the briefs deliverables or writing up new ones.

selection of books from caseroom press

No comments:

Post a Comment