Sunday 27 May 2012

OUGD402//SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE//RESEARCH

I did a quick survey with a few people in the studio to get a better idea of what to include on my postcards:
These are some of the things that I think could be included as tips/reminders/things about the course: (some more humorous, some more serious)
-Attendance and punctuality:
There are NEVER any excuses for being late, ever.
-There are hardly any excuses for not attending.
-POOL TOURNAMENTS are taken seriously
-introduction to modules and structure
-wednesday lectures- taking notes is assessed and essential, you will regret the extra hour in bed
-print room and library: always book a print slot in advance, they get booked up and theres no guarantee with drop in.  Always buy stock from the library, big money saver
-lists- keep track of trying to balance all the briefs, lists help you keep organised
-bookmark blogger, its a daily occurrence

SUGGESTED TIPS FROM PEOPLE AROUND THE STUDIO:
-blog as you go along
-NEVER be late
-missing days makes it hard to catch up
-book a print slot
-always sign in
-stripes on a friday
-take notes in the lectures
-check your college mail regularly 
-keep on top and organised

PRESENTATION BOARDS:
CONCEPT:
For this project I've decided to focus on my experience from the course and my time in uni rather than moving away from home or living in a new city and focusing on Leeds.  One of the things i first thought when I joined the course was there was a lot of information to take in, just about the course structure, modules, briefings, lectures etc.  I want to create something easy and accessible that breaks down simple tips and information for new students to refer back to.  Obviously all this information is given to us on moodle but I found that quite overwhelming at first to try and find information.  Also I want to create something that gives new students a heads up for what they can expect from the year, being underprepared for this course is the worst thing.

What is the problem I want to solve?
I want to make new students feel settled and break down the enormous amount of information given to you in the first few weeks.  Something that they can refer back to in the first couple of weeks just as a simple guidance.  Some tips and information will be more serious than others.

What are the reasons for this being a problem?
-easy to be overwhelmed by information in the first few weeks
-sometimes need something easy to look at rather than digest lots of information
-starting uni can be quite daunting, need some help

Research about why this is a problem?
From my own experience I found it was a lot of information to take in, and only started realising how the modules work etc. further on into the year.  Also I did a survey with a couple of questions and asked a number of people in the class, going on their own experience, whether they thought my idea would be helpful and took suggestions for what topics I could focus on when making my work.

What is the idea?
My idea is to create a set of postcards, like something you might find in a freshers pack, that has tips and information about graphic design at Leeds College of Art.  Something that will be easy to digest but give the new students helpful information about things such as modules, lectures, attendance and punctuality (and the importance of it) etc.

Why, and how will I present it?
I think this format will work well because its something you would get in a freshers pack when starting uni.  Also its simple but I think it will work nicely as a set.  I will present with basic information and tips, nothing too packed on the card, and some graphic design illustrations.

VISUALS:
What I want it to look like:
I've looked at some postcard formats to give me some inspiration for the design, I would quite like to experiment printing on a different colour stock other than just white.  I'd quite like the postcards to be simple, focusing on type and a small illustration.  Maybe a colour theme running through the pack and consistency of type faces.
POTENTIAL DESIGN IDEAS:
I really like the idea of printing on brown stock, parchment style paper with black ink, its something that I think could work well especially incorporated with the right type of colours.  This stock would also allow me to keep my designs simple and colour scheme limited because of the impact the parchment stock would have.
RESEARCH:
A lot of research is based on my own experience, I felt like at the start it was quite confusing to grasp how the course worked, just because so much information was given to us about briefs, modules, time tables, workshops etc.  I think a small started pack would definitely help new first years.  Not only do they have to settle into a new course, work hard, meet new people and attend everyday at 9:30 they also have to move into a new flat, cook for themselves, sort out their financial situation, do their own washing and keep their flat clean. Its a lot to take on board in the first couple of weeks and so this is why I think this starter pack of postcards would help with the little things to do with the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment