Tuesday 20 March 2012

1ST SEMESTER REVIEW//THINGS I HAVE LEARNT ABOUT MYSELF PERSONALLY & PROFESSIONALLY OUGD402

10 things that you have learned about yourself as an individual and as a learner. These should reflect your personal development and individual journey since the start of the programme:
ONE.
Time management, I can't decide if I've become better or worse at it!  In terms of punctuality, I've definitely become better, I'm on time for college usually, whereas before I was always late to things.  I don't think I've become any better at actually managing my time effectively, I have more things to do and more responsibilities than I've ever had which I think makes it a lot harder to successfully balance an academic, social and domestic student lifestyle.
TWO.
Responsibilities, since moving to Leeds I've definitely learnt to grow up a bit more.  Things like laundry, cooking, paying rent etc. aren't going to get done if I don't do it.  Its definitely something thats made me more independent and I feel like I've progressed over the last six months in terms of growing up.
THREE.
Moving out, Im really glad I moved out of London and to Leeds to experience a new city, to meet new people and to become more independent.  I think Leeds is a great city to be a student in and I'm enjoying myself.  Its also made me appreciate going home and back to London, its always good to go back there and see my family and friends, I've also realised how much i miss my dads cooking.
FOUR.
Meeting people, since moving here I've met a lot of great people, I like the social element of living in Leeds, its got a good atmosphere and a good mix of people.
FIVE.
Sleep!  It never really bothered me before, but since starting the course I've learnt to appreciate a good sleep.  When doing a-levels and a foundation I never had a full timetable where you had to be in for 9:30 everyday, I've learnt I can't really go to bed at three in the morning every night and carry on getting up that early, it just doesn't work.
SIX.
Financial situation, Ive learnt that I'm not actually that bad with money, the occasional slip up here and there but generally i can budget,  I haven't had to ask my parents for too much, which is good considering I have no loan left after rent.  I have learnt though, that if I want to pay for things through summer, I'm going to have to get a job fairly soon, its just finding the time to fit that in with a full time course, domestic responsibilities and a social life!
SEVEN.
Looking after yourself, i've learnt I have a pretty rubbish immune system, its real easy to get run down when your not looking after yourself properly, I've been ill a few times and its all down to things like not getting enough sleep, skipping meals, dehydrating yourself and just generally not being as healthy as I should.
EIGHT.
Graphic Design, I never knew one thing could consume so much of my time...
NINE. 
Photography, since starting the course i haven't been using my camera as much as I use to, I really like taking photographs and using them for design work, because of heavy work load its hard to get to do it sometimes, but I want to start using my camera again.
TEN.
Coming to uni's made me think about the future, and all the things I want to do in life, life is short and theres so many things to do, I want to make the most of my time here because it goes so quickly.


10 things that you have learned about yourself as a designer. These should reflect your growing awareness of your own interests within graphic design as a subject, discipline and profession...
ONE.
Adobe, I think in terms of being a graphic design student, the biggest progress I've made is working with Adobe, in particular, Illustrator and Photoshop.  Before starting the course i'd never even opened the programmes, I had absolutely no concept of how to work with them but after practicing and being forced into using them to create different projects I've found its not as hard as I first thought.  I really like the style and final outcome of creating work on Adobe, however I sometimes miss doing more hand rendered type things.
TWO.
Organising, I've learnt writing lists is a good way for me to keep organised, I like being able to see everything I have written down in front of me, it seems to make it more manageable, even if it is slightly overwhelming sometimes...I like writing things down rather than sketching, notes, lists, reminders, all help me to manage the work load better.
THREE.
Graphic Designers, before doing my foundation I didn't even know I wanted to do graphic design, I hardly knew any graphic designers, just fine artists, since starting the course, and especially doing all the context of practice tasks, I've learnt so much about famous graphic designers and contemporary graphic designers.  Ive discovered some of my favourite designers through some jo's workshops and through research on my d.c log.
FOUR.
Working professionally, being in the studio from 9:30 till 4:00/5:00 everyday as definitely helped me to get into a routine of working better, the studio is set out like a professional workplace, with a creative atmosphere and like minded people.  I appreciate the studio because not all institutes supply the students with practical equipment as good as ours.
FIVE:
Crits, Since the start of the course we've pretty much had a crit every week or every other week, I didn't like them at first but I think its a great learning tool as it helps to get feedback on your work, generate new ideas, and be inspired by other peoples work.  When reading a disappointing bit of feedback on your work its easy to take it personally, however, its got to be taken constructively, no one will ever say it can't be improved.
 SIX.
Blogging, I'd never blogged before I came to LCA, at first I found it hard to keep on top of it and do it daily but now I think its an effective way of recording progress, showing work more professionally and monitoring the work load.  Now its something thats a daily occurrence, that happens as a habit rather than a chore.
SEVEN.
Money, being a graphic design student can be quite pricey, I didn't have a mac until january, but I don't think i could do the course as well without having one, it constantly relays on you blogging, using adobe, and researching, all things that you need a laptop, and personally I feel a mac, for the most professional graphic design work.  Printing also adds up a fair bit...
EIGHT.
Learning, group work, since starting the course I feel I know so much more about Graphic Design as a subject, things that I never even knew about before such as colour theory, type and grid and aspects of typography that id never looked at.  The lectures have given me information on a broad range of topics such as film, visual communication, modernism etc.  Whilst I've been here I've also worked on group briefs several times, this has been a great experience, and we've had successful outcomes, its good to be able to put peoples ideas together and create designs.
NINE.
Screen printing, this is something thats interested me for a while but I've never been able to try it, since coming here and getting a broader understanding of techniques and designers I've liked the look of screen printing even more and its definitely something I want to try with some projects in the future.
TEN.
Progress, I feel like I've made a lot of progress being on the course, I've never had so much work or worked so hard before, I think my skills have improved and I've learnt so much about the subject since september, Ive also become more interested and engaged in the subject.


No comments:

Post a Comment